Handvo Muffins is a Gujrati dish baked using dals, rice, vegetables, and spices. People of Gujrat served this savory cake as a meal or as an accompaniment.
- 1.5 cups shredded lauki
- 1.5 cups of Dhokla flour
- 1.5 cups plain yogurt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- salt, to taste
- 1.5 tbsp ginger paste
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1/2- 1 tbsp crushed garlic
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder.
- white sesame seeds
- 1/2 of a lime juice
- 8 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp (heaped) black mustard seeds
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- 1 tsp Eno
- 1/2 tsp asafetida
- Mix the Dhokla flour and yogurt.
- Cover and let this batter rest for 5-7 hours or
overnight (no need to refrigerate).
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, add batter from
above and mix in the following: Ginger, Garlic,
Green Chilies, Salt, Sugar, Turmeric Powder,
and Shredded lauki. Mix well
- In a small skillet, heat 1 Tbsp of Oil slightly. Add
Curry Leaves and Red Chili Powder. Add this Oil
mixture to the above batter and mix well.
- Add Eno Fruit Salt and mix well to make the
- Divide batter into greased muffin pan or pour
into a greased cake pan.
- 7. Sprinkle Sesame Seeds over the top of the
- 8. In a small skillet, heat remaining 2 Tbsp Oil.
- 9. Add Mustard Seeds and let them pop.
- Switch off the stove.
- 10. Add Asafoetida to the oil.
- 11. Drizzle this oil seasoning over the top of the
- sesame seeds.
- 12. Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake at
- 350F (180C) for 40 minutes
- 13. Remove foil and BROIL on High for
- approximately 10 minutes until a light
- golden crust forms.
- 14. Let the handvo rest for 10-15 minutes before